Thursday, March 27, 2008

Week 7: Tagging, folksonomies, del.icio.us and LibraryThing

This is the first week where I have run into some troubles. And in fact that is an understatement. I have been pulling my hair out over this. I must say this is not a 15 minute lesson! Not for my slow brain anyway.

This week's lesson calls for an RSS feed from my newly created del.icio.us account into this blog. And I just can't seem to do it.

After I successfully put up the feed of my dear wife's flickr pics (see right column) I had the idea that really simple syndication was living up to its name. I now think it must stand for Rather Silly Sindication.

So either the problem lies with me or there are restrictions on this PC that stop the process from completing itself. I'm not sure. I even tried getting the rss from Sutherland Library's del.icio.us account and failed. So it can't be because of how I set up my de.icio.us

The only avenue left to me is to "try this at home". Which is difficult when you have a 2 year old to chase after.

At this point I am admitting defeat. I won't be beaten for long though, this I vow. I really need to understand this technology. It will be part of my next job role.

An opinion on del.icio.us

I had no idea it existed and I'm really glad it is part of Learning 2.0 because I can see great value in it, especially for libraries and staff who want to share thier (newly) organised bookmarks. I feel inspired to start making a professional account right now.

I seem to be getting into the meat of learning 2.0 now and am starting to learn some good things I previously lacked knowledge of.

1 comment:

pls@slnsw said...

Glad to see you are enjoying this despite the problems. Feel free to ring for help.

Ellen